Thursday, April 25, 2013

Surely Not I

So, I've been thinking about my post from last week about praying for our enemies.  One thing that has always been part of that for me (and I suspect most people), is the notion that by praying for the softening of their hearts, God will eventually help them see The Error of Their Ways.  That reconciliation will come from forgiveness on my part, and movement on theirs.

But, and here's a question I have rarely asked myself ever, what if I'm wrong?  Of course, this simply can't be.  My supreme humility means I have always concluded the right and proper viewpoint.  I can't possibly be wrong.  I know what the Bible says.  If someone thinks differently from me, they clearly are being influenced by their own desires, or propaganda, or they're simply naive.

I don't know.  I really like the idea of praying that God will fix people I don't like.  It just seems wrong that in praying for people with whom I disagree, or have hurt me or people I love, I'm the one who needs to change!

It's so much easier to compare myself to Jesus, dying for sinners, asking God to forgive them, the very people who placed him there.  It's so much nicer to view myself in a benevolent state of prayer, rising above my own angst and feelings of bitterness to be the Better Person.  Being smug is my favorite feeling in all the world, so why is it so hard for me to practice praying for my enemies?

I suspect it's because in doing so, the stirrings of my own failings are awakened in me, and not just the lack of forgiveness kind.  Maybe I have misidentified Truth.  Maybe I'm right about it, but I cling to pride in the knowing of it too much.  Maybe nobody is wrong.  Maybe we all are.

Whatever it is, God does make it VERY clear that we are to pray for those who persecute is.  We are to love our enemies.  It's hard.  Being a disciple can really suck sometimes.  But I know without a doubt that obedience, no matter how difficult, will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your wrestling with this. Praying for our enemies is hard and very counterintuitive.

    I'm reminded of a comment from Anne Lamott: When we insist that our enemies are God's enemies then we've created God in our own image. :)

    ReplyDelete