Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Praying for my Enemies

When things like what happened yesterday at the Boston Marathon occur, it's easy to remind ourselves of certain things we're "supposed" to do.  We are called to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.  But what does that really mean?  We also are commanded to pray without ceasing.  How are we to do this?

I often feel smug that in my enlightened state, I recognize that our world would look very different if we actually did these things in conjunction with each other.  There would be less violence in the world, the leaders of every nation would exhibit greater wisdom, people everywhere would just get along in a more civilized manner.  I truly believe this.  Of course, when I'm not patting myself on the back for recognizing this, I have to admit to myself that I absolutely do not pray without ceasing, and when I pray for my enemies, it is difficult for me to do so with sincere love and freedom from snark.

I suppose it's time for me to put up or shut up.  What does it look like to love my enemies?  I can pray for wisdom, for softening of their hearts, but do I really have to ask God to bless them?  I think the answer is yes.  I really don't like that.  I'm fine with asking for them to have a changed heart, because after all, that means they're going to be more like me!  And who doesn't want that?  I'm awesome!  But...maybe in praying for people with whom I disagree, or people who aim to hurt those whom I love, part of that prayer needs to include a softening of my heart.  Perhaps part of the point of communing with God and asking for good things for people I am odds with is that I learn peace, that I can practice genuine forgiveness, that I can be loving and perhaps find reconciliation.

Hmm.  This might take effort.  This might do damage to my pride.  This might hurt.

We know abstractly that we are not to conform God to us, but be conformed to Him.  Yet, we find ourselves at the very least only conforming to the things with which we experience the least discomfort.  Loving our enemies is lovely in an I-don't-hate-you kind of way.  It's nice having a self-satisfied peace knowing we will not let them "get" to us.  I don't think that's enough.  A while back, I read this blog by my sister: What I Learned from Martin Luther King, Jr When I Prayed for Newt Gingrich.  I agreed with everything she said, and thought how rad and smart she is.  But...that was that.  I didn't actually change any of my own habits.  That is just asking too much!

So, here we are, with more violence, more foolishness, more calamity.  If I am to be truly honest with myself, I am part of the problem, because I refuse to be obedient.  Praying- truly, deeply, lovingly praying- for our enemies requires humility.  It requires that I acknowledge that God loves them, too.  It requires that I acknowledge that God knows best what blessings should be bestowed and on whom.

This is going to be hard.  I think I might need to ask God for strength and perseverance, too.


1 comment:

  1. Praying for our enemies is a lifelong practice, I think. It's hard work! Thanks for the blog post (and referring to me as "rad and smart.") :)

    ReplyDelete