Saturday, May 4, 2013

God's Side

Yes, I am going to talk about my enemies again.  I'm not sure why I'm wrestling so especially with this of late, but I am.  This morning I was scrolling through my Facebook feed, and I came across a post featuring Jim Wallace of Sojourners fame.  When I clicked on it, a quote by Lincoln was referenced saying he didn't care if God was on his side, but was concerned with being on God's side.

I like that quote.  I agree with that quote.  Yet, as I pondered it this morning, it brought me back to this idea of praying for my enemies and what that means. 

Recently, I talked about how the point of praying for them was not just so they could be brought around to my correct way of thinking, but perhaps I could be brought to theirs.  This came to mind while thinking about the Lincoln quote.  If we are all praying for our enemies, we will all be seeking after God's will, right?  I believe earnestly seeking after God's will means we are open to His molding, and direction.  Sometimes this means we have to follow somewhere we didn't intend to go.  Sometimes this means forgiving people we enjoy being mad at.  Sometimes this even means acknowledging we need to repent and change our way of thinking, and behaving.

So, here's a super novel concept to make sure I'm not just applying The Way I'd Like Things To Be to God- I could actually pray without ceasing! That's right.  I said it.  I could talk to God more.  And better yet, I could wait quietly for an answer. 

Ya know, I think that might be what holds me back.  In prayer as often in regular conversations, I spend my time sharing what I want to say, and not always listening.  How can I truly find peace with my enemies if I'm busy telling God to make them more like me?  I suspect many already are, in that regard.  How can I know what God's side is, if I never give Him a chance to tell me?  All too often time in prayer consists of talking to God, thanking Him for blessings, asking for more, and then saying "Amen," and going on with my business.  God has to talk super fast if He has anything to say to me!  Fortunately, He finds ways to reveal Himself to me all the time.  But how much more would I hear if I would just Be Still? 

I might even find out how to be on His side.

No comments:

Post a Comment