Monday, March 24, 2014

Prayer...Warrior?

A few months ago, there was a period that God was totally answering many of my prayers in super obvious and fairly immediate ways.  I felt like I had ascended to a new level of prayer awesomeness and that there was nothing I couldn't ask for that God wouldn't grant. 

Then He got over that.  Maybe I was starting to get too bold.  Maybe I was beginning to ask for things that simply aren't in The Plan.  Maybe I wasn't really praying within The Plan.  Whatever the reason, it took very little for me to start to get discouraged.

See, I'm a 21st Century American.  I like results.  I like results this very second, and if I can't have them, I'd like to obsessively track their arrival time.  I want things to work the way I want, and I'd like to get a full refund if they don't.  Of course, the God who created the universe exists in a slightly different schedule than me.  Clearly he just doesn't see how urgent everything is. 

You would think that the woman who had to wait 18 years to get her wonderful child would understand the need for patience.  You would think.  Instead, I easily get discouraged and start to become convinced that God just doesn't listen to me, or worse, doesn't care.

Now, when I'm not feeling all sorry for myself and assuming that the entire world revolves around me, I can acknowledge that God has blessed me immeasurably.  We have a home, we have plenty of food in our bellies, we have friends and family whom we love and who love us.  Plus God knows that granting someone the fruits of the Spirit is not always as effective as having them learn them.  But seriously?  It would be so much better if I could have patience NOW, and if I could just exhibit goodness, dagnabbit!!  Yet, I have learned through trial and error to have joy, and to practice love through action.

I hate that I get discouraged so easily.  I know God isn't a vending machine.  I know that if I open my eyes, I see all the good things He has done and shown His love.

What about you?  How do you get discouraged when you know you shouldn't?

2 comments:

  1. I get discouraged when I can't do anything, but wait. Or can't say the right thing at the right time to be an encouragement, or change a mind. I like to 'fix' things, but sometimes things can't be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faizeh, this is an amazing post. It is so true. I know several prayer warriors and have occasionally been one. I believe that it is very easy to start wanting the gifts more than the Giver, even when our prayer is a righteous prayer. God's mercy operates by not letting that happen. At the same time I believe in praying boldly!

    ReplyDelete